Our creamy, roasted avocado-tomatillo dip is very much like a tangy, dip-able, guacamole.
This salsa is also very versatile. The creaminess goes excellent with smoky meats, like arrachera or fajitas. It can also be thinned with a little crema and used like an aioli.
Creamy Roasted Avocado-Tomatillo Dip
- 1/2 lb. tomatillos - husked, cored, and rinsed
- 4 cloves garlic - peeled
- 3 medium serrano pepeprs - seeded and devined if you want mild salsa
- 1/4 cup cilantro - roughly chopped
- 2 large avocado - pitted, skinned, and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Preheat your broiler on high and place a rack as near the top of yur oven that you can. Husk and core your tomatillos, then place them, along with the serrano peppers on a broiler pan. Roast in the oven until black, then flip and roast the other side until black.
- Place the garlic in small bowl with just enough water to cover. Microwave on high for one minute. Drain.
- Remove stems and seeds (optional on the seeds) from the serrano peppers, then put everything in your blender and pulse until smooth. If necessary, thin with water.