Mexican molletes sandwiches are more or less a cross between an open-face grilled cheese and a bruschetta with some refried beans thrown in for good measure.
- Try one of our 12 salsa recipes to help you master Taco Night.
They are super simple to make. This is one of those recipes that you don’t need to refer back to, but instead, just remember.
Butter and toast the bread, spread a thin layer of refried beans on it, add some shredded cheese, toast under the broiler, and serve topped with fresh pico de gallo.
Mexican Molletes Sandwiches
- Heat refried black beans in a saucepan until piping hot.
- Preheat broiler on high and place one rack near the top. Cut bolillos in half lengthwise, and butter each cut half. Place under broiler on a heavy-duty baking sheet until lightly browned. About 3-5 minutes.
- Remove bolillos from the oven and spread a thin layer of black beans on each. Top with a layer of cheese. Place back in the oven until the cheese is fully melted and has brown spots all over.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately with pico de gallo.